A Few Charms (Banner)

A Few Charms (Banner)

Friday 23 May 2014

Do my kids know they are my "treasured hearts"?

When Pandora first released these effervescence muranos I was intrigued by the name. I usually think of "effervescence" as carbonation of a drink or "bubbly." But my dictionary app says it also means, "to show enthusiasm, excitement, liveliness, etc." Well, I have never been accused of being subtle, calm, or subdued - I could do "effervescent!" - making these perfect for my newly completed "Treasured Hearts" bracelet. Because I want to SHOW my husband and my twelve-year-old twins that they are my "treasured hearts."

Not long before our twins were born I had an Ah-ha moment. There was an episode on Oprah where Toni Morrison was being interviewed as the author in that month's book club. She asked a very simple question, "When your child walks into a room, does your face light up?"
 
Morrison says that's what our kids are looking for. But she recalled that whenever she saw HER kids she was looking at them with a critical eye - had they buckled their trousers or combed their hair? She felt that she was "caring" for them but what they SAW was a critical face. She realized that her inner love was not shining through, and she made an effort to change that. She suggests, "Let your face speak what's in your heart" - it shows a child, "I'm glad to see you."


It was an Ah-ha moment for Oprah too. She said, "That is how you learn what your value is. Not by what the person is saying to you but what you feel." And I want my family to know I value them - treasure them, in fact!

My daughter has dyslexia and for the last two years she has gone to a tutor after school for 90 minutes, three days a week. Her tutor has been sick lately and I have to admit it has been so nice to have Taylor come home after school. She always has lots to share with me - about a gym class where she led the warm-up, a field trip they were on, a book she and her friends are reading, or an intramural sport she played at lunch.

So I set a goal for myself, to be there when my kids come home from school, and ready to be "on" as a parent - not busy on the computer, or involved in another activity. I want them to see that I'm happy to see them when they walk in the door! I want to discuss homework, but I also want to hear about their day! They have chores to do, but I'm also happy to make them a snack and we can visit. So I've "earned" these muranos in the last few weeks, and they will remind me to "be effervescent (excited and enthusiastic) when I see my kids."

Even though they are called "purple" these muranos are almost a fuchsia colour and go perfectly with the rhodolite and "treasured hearts" charms on my "Treasured Hearts" bracelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment