A Few Charms (Banner)

A Few Charms (Banner)

Sunday 13 July 2014

A special gift from halfway around the world

In honour of the FIFA finals I wanted to share the story about my little blue soccer ball, and the special little boy it represents.

Two summers ago I took advantage of Pandora's summer free bracelet promo and bought 6 muranos. And instead of free leather bracelets I lucked out in finding two of these retired blue colour cords, which match perfectly with the blue cz in this soccer ball charm. Unfortunately, after braiding the two cords together it was only big enough for my daughter's wrist so I tried a new design - after I took the photos.
 

This little soccer ball, which travelled halfway around the world from Australia to Canada, was purchased in celebration of the arrival of my newest nephew Melkamu. Of course the colour is blue, since "it's a boy," and it's a soccer ball because both of his parents play soccer - and his Dad coaches the high school soccer team. The arrival of any child is worthy of celebration, but this little man came to Canada all the way from Ethiopia just before Christmas 2012, after his parents spent 10 years trying to conceive and then waiting for a child to adopt. And I loved that fact that when his parents went to Ethiopia to meet him, his Dad brought soccer balls and played with the local boys, even learning a little of their language. 

My sister-in-law really wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. As I shared previously, Mike and I got pregnant pretty easily, and then Mike's two younger brothers and their wives each had a few kids. And still my sister-in-law wasn't pregnant. I had always felt so badly that she was unable to conceive. To be more accurate, I felt guilty; so guilty in fact that I even considered offering to be a surrogate, as if somehow it was my job to rectify the situation. A counsellor in an eating disorder group therapy session once told us that you only need to feel guilty if you have intentionally done something to harm another. But still I felt guilty; as if I didn't deserve to be happy. It just did not seen fair, and I didn't feel that I could be completely happy if she did not have a child. And yes, I realize that is not a very healthy approach to life, but hey, I am still a work-in-progress and learning that I do not have to rescue everyone OR be responsible for everyone's happiness.

Baby hippo Owen and 130-year-old tortoise Mzee
Two summers ago, when we FINALLY got to meet Melkamu I gave him a little book titled "Mama" about a little hippo who lost his Mama in a tsunami and was "adopted" by an old tortoise (true story). It just seemed the perfect story, reflecting how Melkamu was "rescued" and found a new Mom (and Dad). He also found a special place in our family, and in our hearts - as if it was always meant to be.

When I look at this charm - EVERY time I look at it - I can't help but smile and feel that all is now right in the world, and maybe it all happened for a reason. Maybe there are happy endings.

4 comments:

  1. God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful story! You are definitely talented. :)

    ReplyDelete