A Few Charms (Banner)

A Few Charms (Banner)

Thursday 3 July 2014

The Lucerne, the healing flower

In December 2011 I decided that I wanted to be happy and healthy and I began a journey of using Pandora charms as my motivation for recovering from my eating disorder and depression. My goal was to be symptom-free (i.e. no bingeing, purging, or restricting) for one day, one week, one month, and then one year. It has now been two-and-a-half years that I have been symptom-free. My charms were "earned" for many changes in behaviour, and continue to remind me of the affirmations that keep me in recovery. To recognize the first three months of recovery I bought myself the now-retired Lucerne dangle, and later added the clips.

The Lucerne dangle and clips on my teal Lucerne recovery bracelet

In researching the Lucerne, I learned that it was first discovered by Arabs who dubbed it "the father of all foods," and has been used in herbal medicine for almost 1500 years. As the herb contains high quantities of very easily absorbed nutrients, herbal remedies made from the alfalfa are often given to convalescing patients, or individuals in recovery from recent illness. It is believed to help rebuild the body after a serious or prolonged illness. Rich in chlorophyll and essential minerals, it is also a source of phytoestrogens and may be of some benefit in the treatment of different problems related to menstruation and menopause in women, which makes it an appropriate symbol in this time of transition for me.

Because of these phytoestrogens, the Lucerne has been used as an herbal remedy in breast cancer. For this reason Pandora originally released the Lucerne dangle and clips (sold with a pink leather bracelet) as a fundraiser for breast cancer charities. Despite that association with breast cancer treatment and recovery, the Lucerne flower is historically known as the "healing flower" and represents general health and healing. The Lucerne is known as a symbol of life, and after my prolonged battle with depression and an eating disorder, it represents my recovery and healing.
 
Next week I will share the reason for the engraving on this charm, and the renewed need for this message over two years later.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment